Sunday, August 2, 2009

Deceptive Yum!


Okay, believe it or not, this is my sons eating a sneaky meal! I observed as casually as I could, with baited breath, as they nibbled, then gobbled their hidden-spinach pizzas down. Bubby especially liked it. Then they asked for more as we got ready for bed. I am totally floored!

I have resorted to Deceptively Delicious meals because my toddler-men refuse to eat basically any vegetable. They also won't eat any real meat (meaning unprocessed meat that hasn't been rolled in lard and fried or squeezed into a tube), but I haven't yet found any secret recipes for that. Thank goodness for whole wheat and peanut butter! We adults have really enjoyed all the sneaky recipes I've tried so far. And the boys also liked my sneaky oatmeal cookies. This pizza has had a failed attempt before, but today it was a winner, yay!

I try not to be a downer to newer moms, but I have been advising them to get the good food into their babes while they still like it. The theory that if you start your kids eating healthy as babies they'll always eat well is bunk. I prided myself on how well the boys ate whatever I gave them for a long time. Sigh. Those were the days.

My service in the nursery this morning was pleasant. It often depends on who I am serving with, and today I worked with the boys' sweet Sunday School teacher, so the workload was nicely balanced. Even so, 15 3-year-olds make for a crazy scene!

I got a lot done today. Dishes, laundry, cooking and pureeing veggies, cooking sneaky pizza, and baking applesauce muffins (yes, sneaky ones, yum!). My hips, knees, and feet are killing me, between nursery-work and hours of barefoot pacing my hard kitchen floor. The smell of cinnamoney-goodness filling my house tells me it was all worth it. That, and the fact that my boys' little tummies are full of spinachey-goodness, too.

There are only 7 days left of loneliness! A week from tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. Are one of the boys sticking his pizza in his eye? I can't believe how big Anna is getting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You didn't say anything about that big boom outside your window. Muffins look really good.

    ReplyDelete